Cookie for a Cause
Design a series of packaging for three different kind of cookies to bring awareness to a specific cause or fundraising event. You must develop three cylinder based designs that will work with the cookies yet branding to the organization.Download Project Handout
This project will focus on a series of cookie packaging that brings awareness to an organization or event that will be available in stores and online. The placement could be on the shelf with other cookies or at the register to engage a customer at checkout. At the very least, bring attention to the cause would generate a significant help but ultimately picking the packaging up if the type of cookie were wanted by the individual. These would be part of a larger brand that would offer multiple styles. Knowing this, allow yourself to speak directly to the consumer who would be tempted by your type of cookies. Now, get the information across to that person with an engaging design that would explain the cause and organization’s mission statement.
his project will involve developing three unique packaging concepts that are seen as a series. The shells of the packaging will speak to the cause as well as the cookie it is delivering. The surface area should be developed in a way that allows ample room for providing information about the cause as well as the cookie itself. The ingredients, nutritional facts, upc bar code for the store to scan and net weight. Description about the organization or cause and a web address will also be included in the design. Besides the aesthetic element of the packaging, you must consider the importance it serves to protect what is inside. In this case, a baker’s dozen cookies and finding ways to protect each individual piece is important. Using only paper stock, to be earth conscious, how can you protect the 13 cookies? Keep in mind the importance of developing the tiniest packaging possible for optimal retail revenue. The more space that the packaging takes up, the more the store will need to charge resulting in less for the cause and organization.
So, the packaging needs to be small enough to make money, yet big enough to hold all of the information that must be included and provide protection while being unique to the style of the cookie and the cause.
Once a direction has been solidified, designing three different yet similar designs in a series for three different types of cookies. The shape of the packaging is completely open as long as the design has a way of protecting the cookies.
There will not be a drop test for integrity. Only one of the three must incorporate your interior solution.
At the conclusion of this project, you will have immersed yourself into packaging for both retail as well as structural integrity. You will acquire the knowledge and ability to develop from scratch, a protective packaging that protects the contents in transit from manufacturer to store to consumer. You will have also learned to develop a canvas that captures the consumer while delivering vital information into a balanced and cohesive design. You will also explore techniques in folding paper to gain mass and protection.
- three different exterior designs that work together as a series for the same organization but for different types of cookies
- the organization’s brand does not need to be followed but their logo and mission statement does need to be included
- the three designs will be printed on 80lb cover stock [ please find this paper stock now to avoid missing the deadline ]
- must set up the files with safe margins, bleeds, trim marks and fold marks
- must include the type of cookie, ingredients, nutritional facts [ NOT IN A WHITE BOX ], upc bar code for the store to scan and net weight
- interior design to protect the cookies
- upload to google drive in the correct folder named as: lastname-p01-final.pdf [ all three designs must be in one pdf ]
- the design and aesthetic appeal for each design
- the presentation of the final craftsmanship
- creativeness of the three as a series
- following the project specs
- participation & research/process of the project